General: Frampton was “the settlement beside the R. Frome” and Cotterell comes from “Cotehele”, the name of the family who owned the Manor in the Middle Ages.
a suburban village but also includes a rambling rural area along Perrinpit Road,
right out to Northwoods on the Old
Gloucester Road. At the end of the 18th Century and
in the 19th Century it was heavily industrialised, with coal
and iron mining and a flourishing hatting industry. It was said that at one time nearly all the
beaver hats in the country were made in Frampton Cotterell and Winterbourne,
until the industry moved north to
Tracks came together here a thousand years ago or more and there was a ford and then a bridge. The mediaeval arched bridge was destroyed by floods in 1966. A new bridge, differently aligned, was built after the great flood of 1968 when the road was widened and realigned. There was farmland opposite with a cottage which stood until the development of the Benson estate in the 1960s.
During 2014, the bridge was replaced due to deterioration. The new bridge, among the first in the UK was a new advanced composite made from layers of glass and carbon fibres bound together with a tough resin.
St. Peter’s Church
What you see now is a rebuild from 1858, apart from the tower, which dates from 1315. There was a Church on the site beside the bridge 1.000 years ago but we don’t know much about it. It was rebuilt in 1315, much smaller than the present building. (See picture on the north wall of the nave.) The Churchyard contains some 18th century chest tombs which are “listed” in their own right. The iron gate to Mill Lane was the gate of the village pound (where stray animals were kept), which was on the other side of Church Road opposite the Globe.
In the 1850s, when there was a great deal of industry in the village and a rising population, it was thought necessary to build a new Church on a larger scale, so the existing building was demolished apart from the tower. The architect was John Norton and the work was paid for by Dr. Foxe, who was the Curate at the time and was also in charge of Northwoods Asylum. There are windows dedicated to him and his wife on the South side of the nave.
No expense was spared and the result was a majestic building in the Perpendicular Gothic style with stained glass windows which are remarkable for their quality. It was unfortunate that the iron mines were failing and the hat factory closed down just a very few years later so the population then began to fall! Also a new Church, St. Saviour’s, had been built at Coalpit Heath in 1845, so considerably reducing the size of the parish.
The tower has a peal of 6 bells, the oldest dating from 1627.
Inside the Church, notice the
Annunciation Window on the south side which depicts the Church itself.
Also, the iron chest with its 3 locks,
formerly used to hold Church treasures.
The Vicar and the two Churchwardens all had keys and it could only be
opened in the presence of all three.
Nobody knows now where any of the keys are!! Also notice the brass on the South wall commemorating
Sir John Symes, M.P. for
Other things to look out for: the Venetian Chair beside the Lady Altar, the
Sanctuary lamps (also brought back from a visit to
In recent years a collection of
crosses has been brought back by parties on various Pilgrimages, to the Holy Land,
- Church Road
- Frampton Cotterell
- South Glos
- BS36 2AB